Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Emily Giffin and Forgiveness



I have just finished reading the latest Emily Giffin book, The Heart of the Matter. I have read all of her books (Something Borrowed, Something Blue, Baby Proof, and Love the One Your With). Her books are classified as Chick Lit, but they don’t fit the typical pattern for a story that is associated with that genre. Which is great for me because I tend to be turned off by Chick Lit.

 Emily Giffin explores both sides of a situation in her stories; situations which may have seemed cut and dry originally. For example, in Something Borrowed, Rachel is best friends with Darcy who is marrying Dex. Rachel ends up falling in love with Dex and Dex with Rachel. At first glance, this is a story about betrayal of the ultimate kind within a friendship. As the story develops, you begin to see the reasoning behind the actions that Rachel and Dex take in their affair.

This is interesting to explore because it is a thought process I am trying to remind myself of in my real life. I believe that most people are inherently good and that they do not mean to hurt your feelings or betray you, they just are doing something that either they feel is correct or that they strongly believe in. 

I try to remember that when someone does something to upset me; they probably did not mean to hurt me. It has happened to me before when I have do something that I thought was doing the right thing, only to end up hurting someone’s feelings. I did not set out with that intent and I did not see how my actions could be hurtful. Forgiving people for actions that are seemingly unforgiveable is easier when you can see both sides of a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment